Tuesday, January 11, 2005

 

Some things just take awhile

So this past Saturday, I spent the day procuring materials for future projects. Maurice was kind enough to let me borrow his F350 passenger van to haul things around, and my co-worker Mikey was nice enough to donate half his day helping me load an unload all my new (to me) appliances.

Sunday was spent trying to learn everything about gutters. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked early on and spent most of the morning installing new electric outlets in the kitchen and office. The house was equipped with grounded wire, so I thought all I'd need to do was install the three-pronged outlets. Well, the electrician had wired the boxed with just enough wire to get to the screw, but not enough to make it all the way to the new outlets.

So I first tried soldering new pieces of wire to make the distance. Then, after some advice from a friend, I just connected 3" sections of wire to the existing screw to bridge the gap to the new outlet. Problem solved.

Not so lucky with the gutter...

Maurice showed up to lend a hand installing the gutter, and we quickly realized that the old roof left from the crappy old porch needed to be removed further. I started doing the job with hand snips, but Moe suggested using the Sawz-All, which ended up working much better. We then installed new aluminum flashing, and by that time, it was dark and we were tired.

I spent the rest of the evening stripping paint off the office baseboards. This room's boards had 7 layers of paint on them.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Links
archives