Tuesday, May 15, 2007

 

chalkboards as countertops: sustainability

thanks to sara for my very first blog comment!

Sara asked if the chalkboards and the finish I chose have held up over time.

The finish lasted about 3 months. the guy at Home Depot recommended the $40 bottle, and whille I was reluctant to pay, I certainly didn't want to ruin my counters. That $40 would have been better spent on beer! After three months, the finish started coming up in frequently used areas. I spent the better part of an afternoon removing the finish and going a different route.

You ready for the new finish? It's olive oil.

That's right. Natural oil is the best finish for slate chalkboards. It's a bit more maintenance, but it's a better finish that doesn't peel off in small layers, it's just as stain and water repellent as the teflon finish, and it's super easy to maintain.

So if I had to rate the entire experience on a scale of 1 to 5 circular saws, I'd give:
*Home Depot's finish: 0 circular saws
*olive oil finish: 5 circular saws
*chalkboars as countertops: 4 circular saws. (only because I don't like cleaning.)

Thanks for posting sara!

Labels: ,




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Links
archives